The three biggest players in the mortgage industry — the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) and the government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac — have engaged in a battle of supremacy throughout the housing recovery.Read More
An Alternative To Traditional Real Estate Investing
Last year was good for Nashville homeowners.
The metro area had the third-highest home price appreciation among the nation's largest markets, at 12.5 percent, and sellers saw the largest profits here since at least 2000.Read More
Alan Greenspan is sounding the alarm about the booming stock market.
"There are two bubbles: We have a stock market bubble, and we have a bond market bubble," the former Federal Reserve chairman told Bloomberg TV on Wednesday.
The trouble in the bond market "will eventually be the critical issue," Greenspan said, adding that "for the short term it's not too bad."Read More
- The supply crisis is hitting housing hard, as strong demand quickly eats up what few listings there are.
- Home shoppers signed 0.5 percent more contracts to buy existing homes in December compared with November, according to the National Association of Realtors.
- The supply of homes for sale at the end of December fell to the lowest level since the Realtors began tracking it in 1999.
- The Federal Reserve left its benchmark interest rate unchanged, as expected, at Janet Yellen's final meeting as chair.
- Inflation should stabilize around its 2% target this year, the Fed said, in an update to its previous language on one of its mandates.
- Traders expect the next rate hike in March, during the first meeting with Jerome Powell as Fed Chairman.
The American Bankers Association (ABA) Consumer Credit Delinquency Bulletin recently revealed that closed-end loan delinquencies increased in the third quarter. Delinquencies are tracked in eight categories for closed-end loans in a composite ratio.Read More
It's New Year's Day, so it's time for football, hangovers, resolutions — and forecasts.
With the first three, you're on your own. But for forecasts, we have economists to help. They get paid to peer into the future, and in general, they are seeing good times ahead, thanks to an upbeat business cycle.Read More
As home-price appreciation accelerated again after six months of slowing growth, the national home price index (HPI) reached a new high of $283,000 in October, according to Black Knight's most recent HPI reportRead More
Whenever home prices rise sharply, as they have in recent months in some markets, the housing bubble question is asked. It is an anxiety-laden question, since the housing bubble that emerged during 2000-2006 led to the collapse of the home mortgage market and the ensuing worldwide financial crisis. The crisis and its very costly aftermath have not been forgotten.Read More